Saturday, November 10, 2007

Time to get my blog on...

Robert and I have talked about blogging for quite some time, but between work and the wedding, we haven't really had time. I hope we can change that soon.

I'll admit, I fear that blogging might be similar to keeping a journal -- something that sounds like a great idea for a creative outlet, but quickly becomes one more thing to put off doing.

I do keep a blog for my Western Civ classes at George Mason University and I have been pleased with it as a tool. It saves time and paper to be able to communicate with my students via the web. I am currently composing a post that is titled (in my head) "Why your papers sucked..." I hope that it will be an easier dose to swallow by reading it in a blog than by me devoting a third of the class to a stern lecture.

But anyway...

I know that one of the reasons that Robert and I wanted to blog together is because we have these incredible conversations that can touch upon any conceivable topic and we wanted to share some of that with our friends and family. It is not uncommon for the two of us to ponder what the human species will be like in 5000 years or to muse about what a Kucinich vs. Paul campaign would look like in 2008, but those conversations can be a little more difficult to start with others. In this forum, we hope that you will be able to see our often complementary and sometimes competing viewpoints, while we hope to see what our friends and family think about a range of esoteric topics. Maybe it will change the way we talk (verbally and virtually) with others.

I hope, too, that the blog allows us to keep people informed about what's going on in our lives. I know that I can be too busy to call, but I still find time to read my friends' blogs, Live Journals, Twitter accounts, etc. I like to keep up.

As for "The Oort Cloud Archives" -- well, it's astronomy and it's history. It has something to do with our wedding rings and with a great day in a North Carolina park. And it makes us laugh.

Cheers!

No comments: